Sunday, September 21, 2008

Back home!

Hi everyone- I am back in New York. After a....ahem, lovely.....adventure in the JFK airport on Friday night, I arrived back home only about 3 hours later than I was supposed to. Man, I love flying into New York on a Friday night.

The rest of my trip was good- I spent 2 days driving around New Hampshire and visited 3 different schools. New Hampshire, like Maine, is very beautiful- but a little on the sleepy side. It was nice getting back to Manhattan, the land of 24-hour everything! I would have to say that the coolest experience I had so far on my trip is my visit to The Meeting School, a Quaker High School in Rindge, NH (pictures on left- if you want to see them full size, click on them). I drove way past the nearest town of any considerable size and up a dirt road to find this school, which is a boarding school on a working farm! I was served lunch by the students- it was homemade chicken soup- they raise all the meat that they eat at school- and delicious biscuits. It was such a unique experience. The program I am recruiting for was founded by Quakers and the program is geared toward non-traditional learning, so I am going to be visiting schools ranging from these, on working farms, all the way to fancy private schools. It's great to get a tour of all these Northeast high schools!

I leave again tomorrow morning to head upstate for 2 days then immediately leave again for Philadelphia and DC for a week. More updates from the road.....thanks for reading!

No comments: