Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Greetings from Maine!

I am hanging out in Maine this week, visiting a handful of schools in the Maine and New Hampshire area. This is my first trip to the northeast and so far, I have to say that I am a fan. This area is so quaint and beautiful. A very stark contrast to my new home in New York City.

This is me behind the wheel of a car for the first time since July 29- hooray for public transportation! Turns out that driving is kind of like riding a bike- you never forget how to do it, no matter how long it's been. I flew into Portland on Monday night and visited three schools in my first 2 days here. I am vising a very wide variety of schools, so I thought it would be fun to take pictures of all of them so y'all can see where I am all day.

The first part of my journey took me to three different schools:
Brunswick High School in Brunswick, followed by Camden Hills Regional High School in Rockport. My last school before packing up and heading to New Hampshire was Deering High School in Portland. All three were public schools and not so different from the high school I attended. So far, I think it is a little bit early in the college admissions process to garner a huge audience at presentations, but I've met a handful of interested students so far.

I enjoy recruiting- especially for a program like this one. When I got into higher ed I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do, but so far I enjoy the admissions side of the college experience. It is really fun and rewarding to watch these 17/18 year olds decide what they want to do with their lives and move in a positive direction. I remember when I was in that position, but I had it easy- I knew exactly where I wanted to go to school- Go Gators!

1 comment:

Kat said...

ROCKPORT!! That's where I used to go w/ Steve every Christmas. Rockport, Maine is one of my favorite places on EARTH!!!

Enjoy :)